Saturday 14 June 2014

Reflection - Niall

I vividly remember the Tuesday morning when I first heard about CanSat. Ms. O’Dea told us about it in Physics. I love anything to do with engineering so I put my name down. Little did I know nine months later I would end up representing my school and my country in Norway.

It all began the Friday before the October mid-term break. Mr. Murphy, Chris and I travelled to the LifeTime Lab in Cork for the first workshop. Here we met Cathal who was our mentor from ON-Semiconductor. From that day on I have been travelling on one of the greatest adventures of my life, which culminated in one of the most beautiful places I have ever been; Andoya, Norway.

Chris and I worked throughout midterm and all the way up to Christmas getting a grasp of Arduino and the coding. In January Hugh and Tayyaba joined the team, much to our relief as neither of us would be able to design and make a parachute or make the quality presentations that Hugh can create.

The biggest challenge from day one was fitting everything in the can. After the competition in Birr we realised the way we were trying to do it wasn’t going to be sufficient for Norway. We decided to completely redesign our can. Thankfully at this stage Evan had joined the team.

I ventured into a new unknown, PCB design and manufacture. This involved schematics, design software such as Eagle and PADS, Gerber files and eventually a bare PCB that had to be populated. Thanks to help from Mr. Murphy and Cathal I designed a custom Arduino that suited our needs. This was a huge learning experience for me, and I know it will stand to me in future as I plan on working in the electronics industry.

Overall CanSat was an amazing experience and I am so thankful to have been a part of it. I would like to thank Cathal O’Lionaird and John Blake from ON-Semiconductor, the school and particularly Ms O’Dea, Mr Murphy for being there for us throughout the competition.

Niall


No comments:

Post a Comment